Before we get started to why do we need cable management and where it is applicable, we need to know what is cable management. In simple terms, Cable Management is the process of effectively tidying up cables such as power, data, video and any other cables. It is the key aspect of a clean and safe home or work environment.
Electrical devices often require multiple types of cable, whether they are power cable that supplies power to the device or they are data cables that transmit data along the cable such as fibre optic cable or ethernet cable.
5 Importance of proper cable management.
Efficiency and Ease of Use
- Proper cable management in an organisation provides easy access to the devices and cables.
- Makes it easier to add or remove devices and work with the installation of cables also limiting interference with other cables.
- Effective management of Cable provides efficiency by providing a decent workflow.
- Poor cable management is considered a hazard such as an entangled cable, exposed wires, trip hazards etc.
- Unmanaged wiring connections and poor implementation may sometimes cause serious harm to a person or damage to property.
- Well-protected cables also keep the cables from getting wet and prevents any encountering electrical leakage.
- Troubleshooting is an integral part of any organization. It would be a nightmare for anyone who is trying to fix the non-functioning cable. A simple task would be complex with poor cable management.
- Good cable management help to identify and resolve any particular issue related to a particular device fastest and safest way for troubleshooting.
- A routine check-up of your cables could be possible for an organisation to avoid future risk
- A well-managed cable system in your work environment extends the life and performance of the cables.
- For a large and complex network, properly managed cables are less likely to give trouble than unmanaged ones. It saves not only money but also saves valuable time.
Clean Work Environment
- Managed cables are visually pleasing and help maintain the work environment clutter-free. They certainly look better than a messy workplace.
- To maintain a clean work environment, you can also avoid using excessive lengthy cord and use the just-right length of the cord so that it doesn’t leave a messy end of cables or spaghetti!
This figure illustrates before and after cable management. Left: Before; Right: After
Call Logitrain on 1800 159 151 today.