A server is a big computer designed to process requests and deliver data to other computer over the internet or a local network. They are highly-powered machines that function as the pumps pushing and pulling data from the internet. There are different types of corporate servers : file servers, web servers, Email servers and Identity server. Home users interface with online game servers, chat servers, and audio and video streaming servers. Computer networks may support one or more servers that handle the specialized tasks. The larger the network the more likely it is that several servers play a role, each dedicated to a specific purpose.
Types of jobs in Server Support includes :
- Server Support Technician
- Server Engineer
- Client Systems Technician
- IT Server Technician
All these server support includes following roles succesively :
- Ensuring that the network infrastructure required to support the business needs is operationally efficient and demonstrates best value
- Assisting in the support of the company’s servers and related backend systems.
- Supporting voice and data communications, application software and the provision of third line support of desktop systems.
- Ensuring that all allocated tasks and procedures are carried out effectively and efficiently to currently agreed levels of service of the company
- Ensuring that requests for support are responded in a timely manner
- Ensurig users are informed about the progress and that advice is sought where needed to avoid or minimise delays.
- Analysing incidents, problems and systems information to show trends and potential problem areas
- Minimising the occurrence of incidents and to improve the process of problem reporting, analysis and clearance
- Providing verbal and written technical reports to specialists on aspects of system status, functionality, incidents and availability
- Providig non technical reports, both written and verbal to users and managers
Knowledge and Experience of Server Support Technician :
- Two year’s occupational experience in a network/server management role
- Experience of Server Installations and OS builds.
- LAN & WAN administration
- Switch and Router configuration and administration.
- Understanding of the concepts and applicability of bridging, routing, virtual networks, network addressing régimes, subnet masking.
- Ability of using TCP/IP and associated protocols and tools
- Administration and Management of Citrix
- Understanding and practice of general management concepts, customer care, and project management.
Specific Skills of Server Support Technician :
- Ability to communicate verbally and in writing with staff from all professions at all levels within the organization
- Ability of translating technical issues in a clear and understandable way
- Excellent customer care skills
- Excellent organisational and time management skills
- Ability to prioritise and work to deadlines
- Ability of working independently and as part of a team
- Logically and analytically solving the problem
- Displaying a responsible attitude to follow procedures, keep records and asset management.
Info about Microsoft Exam