Ever wondered that an impressive cover letter can improve your chances of landing interview calls? Well, it is absolutely true as cover letter gives that first glimpse of the person that you are to the recruiter. Once you have shortlisted the positions that you want to apply for and have your resume handy, then the next step is to come up with that impressive cover letter.
Don’t get confused on what needs to be written on a cover letter that is different from your resume. It is basically a brief introduction about you to the reader, who is usually the recruiter. Only an eye catching cover letter can improve your chances to go one step further in landing that job. They might not go through your resume if your cover letter does not stand out from the hundreds of applications that they receive for a single job posting. Here are few tips on improving your cover letter, which I had learnt out of experience and few tips from my good friends:
- Never have the same cover letter for all. This is the most important rule as every job profile has specific needs and no two job profiles are the same though the title might be the same. It has to be specific to the position that you are applying for and the company. Take your time to draft a different cover letter for each job that you are applying. There is no point applying for many jobs with the same cover letter and go unnoticed.
- As this gives a first impression about you, do make sure that it is very formal with a professional greeting and do keep it to one page. Make sure you proofread it before sending it out as you do not want to give a wrong impression with some small mistakes. Let it be original.
- Try to mention the name of the recruiter who would be reading your cover letter. You can find it in the job that was listed. It gives a personal touch and also gives an impression that it is not a general cover letter that is being sent to everyone. Do not mention the general quote of “HR manager” or “Recruiter”.
- You can make a short tagline or headline with showcases your position with respect to the company’s needs. It will help in grabbing the attention of the reader.
- Next, explain about your skill set. This is where you sell yourself and provide them a brief idea about how you fit in the role. Mention those qualities that will help in adding more value to the position for their company and also how excited you are about the new opportunity.
- Use keywords. Take a cue from the job description and match that with your job profile and include keywords wherever possible as it gives them an assurance of the type of work you have already done in your previous organisation and that it matches their requirement.
- Lastly, do mention how you can be reached and let them know that you are interested in hearing back from them.
Once you are satisfied with the cover letter, do check on the different means of sending them and follow those steps correctly. If you follow these tips, rest assured, your chances of getting that interview call will definitely increase. Do not worry, if you do not get that call immediately. Do a follow up after two weeks to remind them and if you don’t get a response even after that, don’t lose hope and keep trying. You will definitely land the job of your dreams.
Logitrain delivers the best IT training courses and Career counselling programs, for more information please visit www.logitrain.com.au or call 1800 159 151.