Network design is that the very first and important phase of the company’s IT infrastructure before implementation. It involves planning of, how all segments of the network can link together. These can be routers, switches, and servers to desktops, laptops, and printers. A well-designed network helps to increased operational efficiency.
Designing of the Network involves following steps:
- Identifying Customer Design Requirements: Identify network applications and services that the organization wants in their network. Clarify the organizational goals and any possible organizational constraints and limitations. Describe the technical goals and the possible technical constraints.
- Describe the present Network: Distinguishing the present network is second step of the network design methodology. during this step, a network’s existing infrastructure and services that are currently running must be identified. Different tools are often used to analyze existing network traffic, and tools for auditing and monitoring network traffic.
- Network Topology and Solutions: the simplest way to design the network topology is that the structure approach that permits to develop the optimal solution with lower cost and fulfilling customers’ requirements, which can be capacity, flexibility, functionality, performance, scalability and availability. Network designing process is typically starts with the data that may be extracted through existing information and documentation at the time of Network audits and analysis.
- Planning of the network implementation: Step by step procedure of every aspect of modular network should be documented and have the entire detail for implementation of every step. Documentation should include rollback plan for each single step, just in case something goes wrong its always easier to travel back to previous step and after modification re-implement that step again
- Constructing a prototype network: A prototype network is a subset of the complete design, tested in an isolated environment. The prototype does not connect with the present network. The good thing about employing a prototype is that it allows testing of the network design before it is deployed before affecting a production network. When implementing a brand-new technology like IPsec, you may want to implement a prototype test before deploying it to the operational network.
- Documenting the Design: Documenting the project is a best practice and has several advantages and future benefits.
- Implementing the Design: In implementation phase network engineer implement the network’s designer design. during this phase network engineer implement the documented steps, network diagram into real network.
- Monitor, verification, and modification as needed: Once the network is implemented then future job is to run and operate the network properly, network devices must be monitored, traffic and other security Required modification are often made if something goes wrong with network operation during monitoring of network. Any required services and features are often added at this time.
Click here for CCNA Certification