PRINCE2 means Projects in Controlled Environments. PRINCE2 emphasizes dividing projects into manageable and controllable stages. This Prince2 training is available in many languages. It is a project management method widely adopted around the world. It is also used by wide-ranging industries and sectors. It is flexible methods that guide you through the essentials for managing successful projects, regardless of type or scale. It is built upon seven principles, themes, and processes, and it can be tailored to meet the organization’s specific requirements.
The seven principles are: –
- Continued business justification: there must be a justifiable reason to be running and managing the project. If not, the project should be closed.
- Learn from experience: PRINCE2 project teams should continually seek and draw on lessons learned from previous work.
- Defined roles and responsibilities: the PRINCE2 project team should have a clear organizational structure and involve the right people in the right tasks.
- Manage by stages: PRINCE2 projects should be planned, monitored, and controlled on a stage-by-stage basis.
- Manage by exception: people working within the project should be given the right amount of authority to effectively work within the environment.
- Focus on products: PRINCE2 projects focus on product definition, delivery, and quality requirements.
- Tailor to suit the project environment: PRINCE2 must be tailored to suit the project’s environment, size, complexity, importance, capability, and risk.
The themes are: –
- Business case: create and maintain a record of the business justification for the project.
- Organization: define the individual roles and responsibilities of the whole project team.
- Quality: what the quality requirements and measures are and how the project will deliver them.
- Plans: the steps required to develop the plans and the PRINCE2 techniques that should be used.
- Risk: effectively identify risks and opportunities that could impact the project.
- Change: how the project manager will assess and act on changes to the project.
- Progress: the ongoing viability and performance of the plans and how and whether the project should proceed.
Processes are: –
- Starting up a project
- Directing a project
- Initiating a project
- Controlling a stage
- Managing product delivery
- Managing stage boundaries
- Closing a project
In the nutshell, as we can see, PRINCE2 is a project management method. It applies for the duration of the project from its initiation to the time it is deployed and delivered to the customer. PRINCE2 provides a systematic approach for the project manager to better manage projects through to its completion.
Click here for MCSE Certification