The Cisco 2800 Series routers are a new line of integrated services routers that replaced the 2600 series routers. It is a versatile router that can be used for a small, midsize, or large organization. It intelligently embedded security, data, voice, and wireless services into a resilient system for express and scalable delivery of vital business applications. The actual determining factor for the network administrators was the number and type of interfaces and not necessarily the router’s throughput. It is the first router in the Cisco product line that supports network modules which means that if you want to add a network module then this 2800 series router gives you the cheapest option available in the market. The Cisco 2800 Series has four models named as Cisco 2801, 2811, 2821, and 2851.
Features of Cisco 2800 series Routers:
- Modular Architecture: It supports more than 90 modules and provides a variety of LAN and WAN connections. It gives you the option of integrate-as-you-grow because it got several slots to add services and connectivity in the future.
- Support for Cisco IOS Software: It provides end-to-end solutions with support for features like the Cisco Software-based QoS, security, and bandwidth.
- Enhanced Network Module Slots: The slots support the network modules present and offer a capability of high data throughput.
- Extension Voice Module Slot: Without consuming the network module slot it helps to aid with additional voice services and the density.
- Software Firewall: It offers policy enforcement and advanced security such as application based filtering, user authentication and authorization, real time alerts, and firewalls.
- Network Admissions Control: It is an initiative by Cisco Self-Defending Network trying to improve the capability of the networks to identify, adapt, and prevent threats by allowing network access only to compliant and trusted endpoint devices.
- Integrated Voice Mail: The Cisco Unity Express is a voice messaging system that supports 250 mailboxes through the integration of a network module or an optional voice-mail AIM.
- WLAN Connectivity: The access interface card is used to provide WLAN connectivity to remote clients at sites requiring single point access. It helps in providing mobility and amplified productivity for users.
- Land Mobile Radio over IP: The radio users like the security personnel, police officers etc. are able to communicate via IP with phone and PC users due to LMR support over IP. It helps in delivering improved communications and effective output.
- Cisco IOS Embedded Event Manager: It automates many network management tasks and operates to increase availability, notify external systems, and collect information about critical events.
Click here for MCSE Certification