Overview: This document will share information about business analyst certifications.
Before we look into the Business analyst certifications, let’s understand business analyst roles. It can be broadly classified into two categories:
Functional Analyst – Focus on any specific technology or business domain
IT Business Analyst – Role that involves interaction between business and technology teams.
Let’s look a bit more in detail about the roles of Business Analysts before moving to the business analysis certifications. The business analyst is a professional who performs multiple jobs such as Data Analyst, Reporting Analyst, Project Lead, Project Manager etc. In other words, a business analyst is a multi-tasker.
Some of the roles are:
- Requirement analysis
- Researching the solutions
- Understanding Functional and Technical Requirements
- Leading a team
- Documenting project needs
- Organizing meetings
- Communicating and presenting the solutions with the client
Different vendors provide BA certifications.
3 vendors offer professional business analyst qualifications in Australia:
- International Institute of Business Analysis (IIBA®)
- British Computer Society (BCS)
- Project Management Institute (PMI)
- IIBA Entry Certificate in Business Analysis (ECBA)
- IIBA Certification of Competency in Business Analysis (CCBA)
- IIBA Certified Business Analysis Professional (CBAP)
- IIBA Agile Analysis Certification (AAC)
- IQBBA Certified Foundation Level Business Analyst (CFLBA)
- IREB Certified Professional for Requirements Engineering (CPRE)
- PMI-Professional in Business Analysis (PBA) Certification
- Project Management institute
PMI Professional in Business Analysis
British computer society (BCS)
It’s the foundation level and people begin their business analysis journey from here.
- Business Analysis Foundation
- Business Change
- Commercial Awareness
Once an individual gained a foundation level certification, they can move to the practitioner level and gain practical skills. By completing modules, it can be used to gain a BCS International Diploma in Business Analysis as well.
- Business Analysis Practice
- Benefits Management and Business Acceptance
- Modelling Business Processes
- Data Management Essentials
- Requirements Engineering
The professional level would assist the individual to become a Chartered IT Professional or Business Analysis Expert. These certifications demonstrate you have developed analytical, business and personal skills at the specialist level. By completing modules, individuals can work towards a BCS Advanced International Diploma in Business Analysis as well.
- Advanced Requirements Engineering
- Agile Business Analysis
- Benefits Planning and Realization
- Business Architecture
- Business Finance
- Data Analysis
- Stakeholder Engagement
- Team Leadership
This is more suitable for senior Business Analysts looking to gain the highest level of certification to demonstrate their higher skill levels and expertise.
Expert BA Award
Developed in partnership with the Chartered Management Institute (CMI) and BA Manager Forum (BAMF)