ITIL is the basic foundation and has become quite popular as it is about service management and what are the best practices to be followed for service improvement. We have different levels of exam for different job profiles, but ITIL foundation exam has been considered as a basic knowledge for every team member of a project. There are different requisites from different people for which they take this exam. There are people who study ITIL for the knowledge of how the service lifecycle works and also people who are already working in same field and would need to understand the concepts and implement them in their company for improvement of services that they offer. This helps them to standardise their processes and provide better quality service to their customers and ensure that a customer is retained.
It is not so difficult to clear the exam if the concepts are understood clearly. Below are few steps that will help you with the same, which I had used:
- Do some initial research online to identify which course is suitable for you. This will help you in deciding the best course suited for your needs. ITIL foundation is the pre-requisite for further certifications in ITIL, as mentioned earlier.
- While learning ITIL try to relate the concepts with the real time experience. This helps in understanding the concept better.
- Never try to just memorize what was said in the study. Though few terminologies need to be memorized, for the exam, you cannot clear the exam without understanding the concepts.
- Since, our basic aim is to implement the concepts in our work life, and not just clear the exam, do ask a lot of questions to your trainer. If you are doing a self study, online blogs can help you in understanding the things that you didn’t understand.
- Making notes helps us to get familiarized with the new terminology used in the various concepts. We might not be using all the practices mentioned in the book, so it is always better to jot down stuff, which will help you for the exam too.
- Next most common thing that is generally done before taking up any exam is it to know the type of questions that would be asked in the examination. Taking up mock tests will help you in checking, if you have understood the ideas mentioned in ITIL and also boost your confidence in taking up the examination.
- Taking up the ITIL exam by relating to previous company knowledge is not advisory as most of the companies use the scenarios as per their needs and it may not be the same as mentioned in ITIL. If you want to clear the exam, then concepts mentioned in the ITIL book needs to be followed.
- You need to understand the question and scan carefully as the questions might be little tricky.
- Since, there is sufficient time to answer all the questions, there is no need to hurry up. Time needs to be taken and not rush it up.
- There is a provision to review your questions at the end and hence after completing all the questions, if time permits, go through the questions and modify any answers, if required.
If the above tips are followed, I am sure that one can easily clear the exam and also will be able to implement the practices learnt, in their organisation. Apart from the above tips, you need to select the proper training material that is required. It is best to do some prior research for this or take up the course through a reputed organisation so that you don’t have to worry about the course contents.
Logitrain delivers the best ITIL Training Courses, for more information please visit www.logitrain.com.au or call 1800 159 151.