Software Engineering is a branch of computer science that includes the development and formation of computer applications and system software. Software Engineering deals with the building of computer software which can be categorized into different groups as application software, utility software, system software, business application, etc. Software engineering is one of the most demanded profession and occupation in today’s world. Due to the development in networking and technology with use of internet in many devices around the world, software engineering is making an impact in normal business and daily life of business person and other people.
With extensive knowledge of computer programming languages, process of software development and operating system of computer, software engineers develop new computer software to run in different system. Software engineers are also capable of testing the software. It is an advantage for a software engineer that they are able to test the software too.
Software testing is considered as one of the important part in software development lifecycle. Software engineering is also considered as important part of software development lifecycle. Software testing and software engineering are inter-related to each other. Software engineering is dependent on software testing and software testing is dependent on software engineering too. Software testing won’t exist if there is no any development or creation of software through software engineering and software engineering doesn’t get approval for release without software testing. Software testing involves the process like evaluation of the features within the software product related to requirements, errors, reliability, security, compatibility, performance, maintainability, usability, etc.
The work of the software testing starts from the start of software engineering process. Software engineering process is involved to create a new software product and software testing job goes side by side with the engineering process. Software testing has always played an important role in developing error free software product in the process of software engineering. Moreover, there are advantages of software testing in software engineering. Some of the advantages of software testing can be listed as:
- Testing evaluates the quality of software and ensures the best quality.
- Testing finds the errors in the product and helps to recognize the potential failures.
- Testing is the only way to ensure that the software product meet the pre-defined requirements.
- Testing helps to find the bugs and forward to fix them.
- Testing helps in cost effectiveness of the product in development.
- Testing checks for the security of the software system.
- Testing checks the compatibility and reliability of the software product with different system.
- Testing helps to improve the customer satisfaction.
- Testing checks the usability and maintainability of the software product.
- Testing checks the performance of the software product and helps the engineering team to improve it.
- Testing helps the engineering team to develop an efficient software product that runs effectively without any errors and failures.
- Testing helps to develop good relation between developer and the customer.
Fixing the bugs during the developmental period can be expensive. It depends on the time when the bugs are found and are to be fixed. The bugs that are found during the earlier stages of the software development are cheaper and easier to fix whereas the bugs that are found in the later stages are more expensive to fix and also can be difficult to fix as it may change the functionality of the whole system.
Software testing ensures that the software product built by an engineering team is bugs free and thus gives the best customer satisfaction in the performance of the software in the market.