Windows 8.1 was introduced to rectify the difficulties caused by the up gradation of windows 7 to 8. Ever wondered that it would have been great to have a comprehensive list of the new features that were introduced and understand them to take the full advantage of the same?
Below are few features of windows 8.1 which are discussed in brief:
- Start button: The start button has been re-introduced in 8.1 which was removed in windows 8. It is similar to the start button in windows 7 with left click and right clicks features.
- Option to select between start button and desktop when logged in: When we log in, by default the screen goes to start button, but we have an option to select Properties and go to the Navigation tab, where you have an option to select to go to desktop instead of the start
- Create a slideshow for the lock screen: Go to “Settings Charm” menu, select “PC and Devices” from the “Change PC settings” and click on “Lock Screen”. We can turn it to “On” and create a lock screen slideshow.
- Privacy options: This can be found under “Change PC Settings” à Privacy where you can control the access of your personal information. This is a useful setting to protect your personal information.
- Viewing skydrive files: the files present in the skydrive folder can be viewed when internet is on and the files are actually not stored in the computer. You can make it available offline by selecting “Make Available offline” option.
- Customizing notification pop ups: We can customize the notification off by configuring the correct options following the steps as Change PC Settingsà Search and Appsà Notifications
- Change the size of each screen independently: In windows 8.1 we have an option to select “Change the size of all items”à Make text and other items on the desktop smaller and larger and we have an option to select the size of it.
- App bars: When we right click on the app’s screen in windows 8.1, it will show the different app’s functions and options. We can also control on the app updates from happening automatically. Under “Settings” à “App Updates”, we have an option to enable or disable the automatic update of the apps.
- Apps running in background: As compared to windows 8, windows 8.1 don’t close an app if we drag an application to the bottom. It still keeps running in the background and you need to wait for few seconds after pulling the application down, for it to close.
- Hands free mode for cooking: yet another feature in windows 8.1 is the hands free mode for the “Food & Drink app”. It is a useful one as it is convenient to use a hands free mode for cooking.
- Hidden Libraries: by default windows 8.1 has hidden libraries which can be enabled under “This PC” option.
- 3D printing: Windows 8.1 does provide support for the 3D printing which is cool feature.
- Start screen button customization: Customization of start screen is possible; a very useful feature which can help us include those features which we use continuously and the “Settings” tab can help us in changing the background color
- Easy shut down: Right click on the “start” button to fins an option to shut it down easily.
- Display settings: In windows 8.1, to change the display settings you can just right click on the desktop button to change the orientation and resolution or from “Change PC settings”.
There is also an app in windows8.1 which gives you help and tips on how to navigate and use new features. Above are few of the tips that will help you use windows8.1 easily.
Logitrain delivers the best IT Training Courses, for more information please visit www.logitrain.com.au or call 1800 159 151.